The Planning Minister Rob Stokes announced new projects for the M5 with key features including,
- 9Km of new motorway Tunnels, line-marked for 2 traffic lanes in each direction, if required space for 3 lanes in the future.
- Widening and re-aligning the existing M5 East Motorway just east of King Georges Road
- A new interchange at St Peters and 2 road bridges across Alexandra Canal
- Streets upgrades around St Peters Interchange
- About 14 km of new and upgraded shared, pedestrian and cycle paths.
- New bridges across Alexandra Canal and Campbell Road, St Peters.
- Taller, wider and less steep tunnels than the existing M5 East resulting in a smoother ride for motorists, reducing emissions and improving air quality outcomes.